There used to be a rule that you shouldn’t wear white clothes after Labor day. More specifically, that you should wear white only between Memorial Day and Labor Day. Now… If you’re truly a stylish woman, then you know that this rule can be broken fabulously.
Most of us have something that’s white in our closets, but how often do we actually wear it? Probably only in summer, because white is not the most practical color for an outfit. It requires your care and attention, which may be why it makes us think of “high-end” and “exclusivity” when we see someone dressed in all white.
White should, however, be encouraged to be worn all year round; it works exceptionally well to wear it in fall or winter with beautiful white coats and jackets as your coverage. Plus it makes you stand out from the crowds who always choose black as their base.
I’ve decided to write this guide to share with you the best ways to wear white clothes, not just after labor day but all year round.
First, let’s go through what people think of white clothes.
Feelings About White Clothes
When it comes to wearing the color white, people have a wide range of opinions on this idea.
Some opinions were discomforting:
“Wearing white is just like camouflaging my already pasty skin; it makes me feel like a ghost.” – Kaitlyn
“Wearing white gives me anxiety.” – Noelle
“I think white tends to highlight my body in a way I’m not into.” – Veronica
For others, wearing white makes them feel like walking targets:
“It makes me feel proud when I do not spill anything. Also, I feel so crisp and tan.” – Hannah
Some feel extra cool in the hue:
“Wearing white makes me feel clean and sophisticated, even though I am neither.” – Laura
“It makes me feel fresh.” – Alexa
And for others, it’s an experience that draws up past memories or confounds them with a mixture of emotions:
“White also makes me feel exposed in some way. Like, it’s not technically a color, and yet it feels like the brightest color you could possibly wear. Does that make any sense?” – Allie
“It makes me feel tan but also unintentionally bridal.” – Ashlyn
The emotions behind wearing this color are diverse. White clothing has its pros and cons.
The Pros On White Clothes
Here are some good reasons to wear white.
- In the western world wearing white is seen as summerish, youthful, sharp, clean, open-minded and efficient.
- Pure white is easy to keep clean as it can often be bleached back to its original brightness.
- Like black, it is a color that coordinates with all other colors and is a fantastic canvas for accessories of all types.
- There is always an abundance of white in the stores.
The Cons On White Clothes
Here are some reasons white might not be suitable.
- Being a light color it advances and enlarges the area it is worn over.
- In some countries, white is the color of death and mourning.
- White can be boring, clinical and unimaginative if worn without accessories or embellishments.
- For those who have the color direction of Cool and Muted (aka Summer), they will always look best in a color other than white.
- Being such a light color it is generally not slimming and therefore, a strategy on how to wear it on your largest area needs to be in place.
- It’s a one wear, one wash color.
- It can discolor easily under the arms through perspiration.
- It is notorious for being see-through.
So, how do you wear white fabulously?
The Best Ways To Wear White
When choosing whether to wear white, there are 3 main considerations:
Here are some pointers for making use of this classy fashion color:
- You can use different shades of white for your outfit. Cream colors with white work great too!
- You can also mix different textures of your garments: silk, cashmere, wool, jeans, corduroy, anything!
- When you wear all-white, you have a great opportunity to break off the look with something eye-catching like shoes/bag/accessories in a bold color or print that pops out.
- You can wear any colored shoes with this outfit, as contrasts work very well!
- All-white outfits work best when the garments are of higher quality. Avoid polyester and any cheap looking materials as it will ruin the overall look.
- Make sure you wear the correct size and fit as everything shows more in white! If possible, make sure your clothes are tailor-made.
- Keep it simple when you go all-white. Elegance fails when it looks like you’re trying too hard.
- Wearing unadorned solid white can be visually uninspiring unless the dress has strong design lines/features.
- If you feel a little bored when wearing white from head to toe, try choosing pieces with different textures, detailing, or silhouettes. A knit white top will make for a way more interesting pairing with white denim than a plain tee.
- To save you from feeling overly bridal, opt for accessories that are decidedly not stereotypical wedding attire. Try geometric metallic earrings, woven bags, and chunky shoes.
- Like any other outfit, make sure your proportions balance each other out. Going for baggy pants? Choose a top with a structured waist or arms that you like, or style it by tucking it in.
Things to be keep in mind when wearing white:
- Don’t wear a white dress to a wedding
- Warmer climates have more leeway
- Wear off-white in cool weather
- Avoid white clothes in city environments
- Wear the right shoes to go with your white clothes
- Wear lingerie that matches your skin color, otherwise wear black lingerie.
- White garments look best when you have a tan or have dark skin. If you are pale skinned, try a spray tan for an instant fix.
- Women with cool, light, muted skins tend to be better in a color than they do in white. White tends to be too plain on them
WHITE CLOTHING LOOKS
When white is teamed with monochromatic highlights, neutral colors and cozy accessories such as fur and boots, white quickly becomes a winter highlight.
Some ideas to wear white in the winter:
- Cozy & oversized.
- Total white.
- Use white with winter-friendly textures like fur.
- Wear white boots with your darker wintry looks to freshen things up.
- Mix white with natural fabrics like wool, suede, cashmere, leather, fur, etc.
- Add white to pastel shades.
- Add a touch of red.
- Mix white with a sparkling piece.
- White coats look incredibly classy and expensive. A White coat can be worn both day and evening. But, I would be careful with wearing it for very casual outings. Depending on the situation, you can end up looking overdressed.
Keep all winter outfits cozy!
- Wear a white button down shirt
- The “All in White” fashion outfit – All white head to toe outfit. This look works for most seasons. The key here is the pieces. Make sure they’re light or thick enough for the season.
- Classy Jumpsuits – They can give you an extremely elegant look.
- White Pantsuits – Nevertheless, if you want to keep it polished, smart, sophisticated, and office appropriate with a dash of cocktail style – go with a fab tailored pantsuit in white.
- A basic white T-shirt works for any season.
- While white dresses are best kept for summer, if you add a jacket they will often work well into early fall/spring.
- Breezy day dresses
- White cocktail dress
- Pencil dress – It’s very elegant and classy, and definitely suitable for a business lunch/meeting.
- Basic white tank top.
- LWT’s (little white tops)
- Sexy lace – Lacy dresses can be worn during the day like a summer day flirty dress or it can be an elegant evening cocktail dress.
- White on the beach – White cover up and one piece swimming suits will definitely make you feel and look like a lady.
- White resort wear – White expensive resort wear is usually made of quality chiffon or silk.
- One of our favorite ways to wear white in the fall is through our denim choices. A pair of white jeans—while a standard of the summer months—can be easily styled with knee-high boots for the fall.
- Fall-friendly layers with variations of white, cream, and beige.
- White ankle boots can freshen up any look, whether or not it involves other neutrals.
- Mix white with natural fabrics like wool, suede, cashmere, leather, fur, etc.
P.S. Some colors and textures will work with any season. The key is the pieces. Make sure they’re light or cozy enough for the season.
TIPS FOR MAINTAINING WHITE CLOTHES
- Start by wearing inexpensive items or pieces you care less about.
- Wait to get dressed until right before you leave the house.
- Avoid wearing white on rainy days.
- Be strategic with your outerwear/layers.
- Place napkins on your lap when you’re eating.
- Observe and take note of your clothes after you take them off/before washing them.
- Be aware of your body in spaces.
- Use a period tracker app.
- Wear an apron.
- Treat stains right away, and treat them often.
- But also…make peace with stains!
Look stylish always!
Leave a Reply